Thursday, September 2, 2010

Some Like it Hot

Oats, cinnamon graham crackers, peanut butter, chocolate, oh, and one generous teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Yeah, I finally did it, against the pleas from my poor family I made a spicy desert and I loved it. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this dessert was watching my dear husband and daughter slowly realize that these were not ordinary dessert bars (insert evil laugh here). The spice doesn't really hit you until the end so at first they seem like any other extremely delicious dessert. When I served these to Nick he bit in and began chewing, then with a devilish smile on my face I asked how he liked them. They were great he said and for a moment I feared I hadn't made them spicy enough but then his eyes met mine and he said "what did you do?! Oh my God, why?!"  Then I actually did start laughing like a mad woman because I'm a little weird, OK?

I personally thought these were great but I was forced to promise that I would never do it again. So if you like it hot and if you feel like being a little evil these might be perfect. And if you don't like it hot just omit the pepper, but please don't tell me if you do, I'll have to call you a wuss.

Secret Spice Bars
3/4 cups margarine
1.5 cups quick oats
1.5 cups crushed low fat graham crackers
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 heaping tsp cayenne pepper

Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium low, reduce heat to low and add the next 4 ingredients. Cook on low for 5 minutes.

Spread half of mixture into greased 8x8 dish

In a microwave safe bowl melt peanut butter and chocolate together in 30 minute increments. Stir in cayenne pepper. Spread over oat mixture then top with remaining oat mixture. Chill for 3 hours and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment