Monday, September 20, 2010

Cheesy, Creamy Potatoes

Lately I've been kind of obsessed with little tiny potatoes roasted in their skin. I eat them because I love the popping sensation they have when I first bite into them, breaking the skin. They're so delicious that I've been making them a few nights a week, which is fine with me but lately the family has been politely and delicately (I get offending if they don't like my cooking) asking me for different potatoes. Haley said the other day "Mom, I don't mean to be rude, I really don't, so please don't get offended, but can you please make mashed potatoes or something?". Then Nick said the other day "Baby, I really love those potatoes you make, I really do. But, maybe we should try something different; so we don't get tired of them".  They are so sweet, trying to spare my feelings. Anyway, I reluctantly made these creamy, cheesy potatoes the other day. They're good, very good, but let's face it, they're not my favorite, wonderful roasted potatoes, which one of these days I will have a recipe here for those.


1 lbs potatoes - diced
6 tbs butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
4 oz Colby jack cheese
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard

First off you have to make a roux. Doesn't that just sound complicated and fancy? Yes? OK good, that's why I said it. But don't worry, it's really easy. It's just butter, flour, and milk.

Melt 6 tbs butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Then whisk in 1/2 cup of flour. Whisk it until it's all mixed in very nicely. Then you need to SLOWLY add the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking it in. DO NOT add more milk until it's nice and creamy. Be patient, take your time. You must never rush a roux!

Once all milk has been incorporated turn the heat to low and add 1/2 the cheese and the seasoning. Toss it with the potatoes, top with remaing cheese, and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-45 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment