Saturday, September 18, 2010
Marble Sheet Cake
Adapted from Southern Living.
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half-and-half (if you don't have this use 2/3c milk with 1/3c veg. oil)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar at medium speed 4 to 5 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
3. Spoon 1 1/4 cups batter into a 2-qt. bowl, and stir in cocoa, 3 Tbsp. hot water, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until well blended.
4. Spread remaining vanilla batter into a greased and floured 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Spoon chocolate batter onto vanilla batter in pan (I put it into six dollops); gently swirl with a knife or small spatula.
5. Bake at 325° for 23 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour).