Monday, April 26, 2010

Latest USMC News



If you are a close friend or family member you probably already know that Nick and I really don't want to leave the USMC but there is a lot of uncertainty over whether or not Nick can re-enlist. I won't go into that here because it's a really long story but we've basically been living with the mentality that Nick will re-enlist if he can and if he can't then we'll figure something out. Well that's just not going to cut it, a family of 4 can't go with the alternative of "figuring something out". So we are now planning on getting out unless things finally work in our favor and Nick does get to re-enlist. Although this may sound like just an alternative way of thinking of our situation it completely changes things. We are now planning on returning to Texas on August 1st of 2011, that's 1 year and 3 months away. If things work out with the Marine Corps, great. If not, we have a plan. Either way I'm happy.



But all this talk about possibly getting out of the Marine Corps has me scared and sad. It's amazing how dependent I have become on the Marine Corps. I won't have free aerobics classes or gym memberships. I won't have a free swimming pool. No more free events with free child care. No more tight knit community of women who can relate to me completely. No more running into friends at the commisary. No more commisary. No more cheap dental. The list goes on and on.



But if we move back to Texas my girls get to grow up with family, we won't have to wake up at 4 am to take Nick the field where we won't see him for days or weeks (thats a huge perk). No more deployments. We'll enjoy Fiesta and NIOSA, and volunteering there with Dad. We won't need free pools because we'll have rivers and creeks. I'll have my old friends that I've known since middle school. I'm excited about the possibility of moving home, it's the transition that freaks me out. So I'm going to utilize every base resource there is before we move home. The base offers free microsoft certification and I will be doing that. They offer help with writing a resume, they train you how to properly interview, etc. And I am so so so glad I have spent the last 3 years volunteering because I can fill my gap in unemployment with my volunteer work and they can provide me with letters of recomendation.

So that's the news, as of right now we are planning on returning to Texas in late July/early August. :) Oh and here are some pics of Alice in her bathing suit:

No comments:

Post a Comment