Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Restaurant Favorite: Southwest Egg Rolls, Healthified

IMG_5310

I debated over whether or not to share this recipe with you all because there is just so much more I could have done with it, like the additions of corn, black beans, and jalapeno but as you have seen in a few of my previous posts, certain foods scare me. Egg roll wrappers are one of those foods but I have now conquered that fear and I will be incorporating those things into this recipe next time. I should clarify here, I'm not scared of the food itself I'm afraid of failing at preparing said food. Because of that I tread lightly, I don't push it with my fancy black bean, corn, and jalapeno dreams. That said, these were still pretty good, so good that there were no left overs and hey, at 70 calories per roll I don't feel the slightest bit bad about that.


You will need:
egg roll wrappers
packet of taco seasoning
1 lbs ground turkey
1/4 cup onion
1/4 diced roasted red pepper
water for sealing edges
Salt and crushed red pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

Cook turkey, onion, peppers, and season them according to the directions on the taco seasoning packet, salt, and crushed red pepper. Remove from heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.

Then place egg roll wrapper down in front of you so it's in the shape of a diamond. Place 2 tbs of turkey mixture in the center then fold the bottom over then the sides, then dab a bit of water along the edges of the top of the wrapper and fold that over. Confused? It's OK, there should be a handy diagram on your egg roll package, if not, YouTube it!

Bake them for about 8 or 9 minutes, flip them and bake for another 8 or 9 minutes.

But wait, there's more! These would be nothing without their wonderful dipping sauce.

Mix the following together
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tbs ranch dressing
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
and any other Mexican spices you'd like

That's it, easy and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment