Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Our Trip to Paso Robles and Hearst Castle





We just returned home from Paso Robles, Ca after a long weekend where Miss Alice met more family members like her second cousin once removed (or something like that) Cole.








And her great grandma Beverly as well as many other family members.









She also tried on an array of headwear and went to church for the first time.





The highlight of our trip was our visit to Hearst Castle which is perched 1,000 feet above sea level.



This was taken about half way up the mountain:



Once we arrived we were greeted by numerous marble statues like this one:







I wanted to badly to touch these, they just look so smooth and soft but I was told I would be kicked out if I did so I refrained.








Haley, Alice and Nick on one of the many castle terraces.




The neptune pool. This was built, torn down, and rebuilt a few times before Mr.Hearst decided it was perfect.





This was one of my favorite parts, it's a bedroom in the smallest of the guest cottages. A cottage to Mr.Hearst was bigger than my house; most things at the castle were bigger than my house.










The details put into making the cottages and the main house amazed me. Check out the tiles and carvings in the concrete ceiling, those special touches were everywhere.




Here is the main house, La Casa Grande. I believe there were 132 rooms or something like that. While it was amazing I was just left wondering why someone would spend that kind of money. Maybe he was trying to get the attention of a past love, like in the Great Gatsby. I'm pretty sure he was just a man with a ton of money that needed spending though.






Check out this ceiling, it's hand carved.




This is the dining room:





And here is my absolute favorite part of the house, the indoor pool.




Greek Gods and Godesses lined the walls and the blue and gold mosaic tiles made you really feel like you were in Rome at some pool just for the Gods, it was pretty neat.





So there you have it, our trip up the coast.












No comments:

Post a Comment